Re: We should get active ...

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
To: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: We should get active ...
Date: 2008-02-25 20:46:39
Lists: pgeu-general

Cédric Villemain schrieb:
> Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
>> damien clochard schrieb:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I think the main feature we need for our wiki is some good
>>> internationalisation. I'd like our website to be accessible in
>>> serveral language, not just english.
>>> We definitely need a simple way to edit and translate the pages.
>>> i don't know about TWiki, but dokuwiki has the simpliest
>>> multilanguage module i have ever seen.
>>>
>>> http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:translation
>>>

>> Damien,
>>
>> for what?
>> We don't make support at the European group. All what we discuss is
>> just "organisation" stuff. For most stuff the language based
>> communities are responsible and they already have language based
>> communication bases.
> Because we will probably translate the content to be readable by
> non-english people.

Ok, that is an argument. But don't expect it before 2034. Consider, when
I look to the past, often we weren't able to translate flyers in time
for an event ... do you really think, we will find the time to translate
web pages? :)

But think about the future and to a http://www.postgresql.eu/de/ or
http://www.postgresql.eu/fr/ or http://www.postgresql.eu/it/ or
http://www.postgresql.eu/se/ or whatever make sense.

>> I am not sure, if we need a wiki at all.
>>
> not sure, but I think the point here is :
>
> Do we continue *only* by mails ? wiki and cms offer voting module
> (or doodle.ch do, yes), discussion webpage to get talk for specific
> content without forget in wich mail/thread we have read,decide
> something. You have feed by page so you can follow exactly what you
> want, I find that very usefull.

I would say, to protect ourselves from stupid users we should avoid
wiki/forums. Also it seems, that Europeans are master of long threads. I
don't want to have such a long thread like this "Design of Italian
T-Shirts" at a wiki. Also I have to less knowledge about wiki and access
controlling.
It shouldn't be so easy for everybody to read our internal stuff. It's
ok, when somebody read the archive (he has to know, how to find the
stuff there). Think to donation reports that the leaders will make every
quartal or every year. I don't want this numbers at a wiki, where
everybody easily can read how many money we have.
An access controlled "only internal" wiki would be ok, but what about
"hacking" a wiki?

For votes wiki could make sense but therefor there will be single other
tools outside and also we are all programmers, therefor we could code a
quick programm on our own. :)

Susanne