ODBC Version supporting specif databases?

From: Bruce McAlister <bruce(dot)mcalister(at)blueface(dot)ie>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC Version supporting specif databases?
Date: 2008-02-22 16:22:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi All,

I am having connection issues with the 08.03.0100 version of the ODBC
driver.

What happens is that when I attempt to connect to an 8.2.6 PostgreSQL
database, using the 08.3.0100 ODBC driver then i get an error connecting
during authentication as follows:

[28000][unixODBC]Communication error during authentication;
Error while reading from the socket.
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

However, if I use the 08.01.0200 version to connect to the same DSN, I
am able to successfully connect?

Is there a specific version of the ODBC driver that supports a specific
version of the PostgreSQL database.

The way the above two ODBC drivers were built are as follows:

OS: Solaris 10 Update 3
ODBC Manager : unixODBC v1.2.12

I'm not too sure which version of the libpq library was used, but I know
for certain that Solaris 10 Update 3 comes with a Sun built version of
PostgreSQL 8.1, the one on the system I am trying to build on is version
8.1.10.

Am I doing something wrong or are the versions of the odbc driver just
not compatible with the versions of libpq that i am using to build with,
and thus, unable to connect to the database, or, is it something
completely different.

If you need any additional info, please dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks
Bruce
| Bruce McAlister Blueface Ltd |
| <bruce(dot)mcalister(at)blueface(dot)ie> http://www.blueface.ie |