Re: postgresql function not accepting null values inselect statement

From: "Bart Degryse" <Bart(dot)Degryse(at)indicator(dot)be>
To: "'Richard Huxton'" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, "Jyoti Seth" <jyotiseth2001(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql function not accepting null values inselect statement
Date: 2008-02-22 09:35:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

Can you try this...

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getfunctionaries(p_statecd integer)
RETURNS SETOF t_functionaries AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
rec t_functionaries%ROWTYPE;
BEGIN
FOR rec IN (
SELECT f.functionaryid, f.category, f.description
FROM functionaries f
WHERE f.statecd IS NOT DISTINCT FROM p_statecd)
LOOP
return next rec;
END LOOP;
return;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

>>> "Jyoti Seth" <jyotiseth2001(at)gmail(dot)com> 2008-02-22 10:22 >>>
Hi,

I have a the following procedure

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getfunctionaries(p_statecd integer)
RETURNS SETOF t_functionaries AS
$BODY$
DECLARE rec t_functionaries%ROWTYPE;
begin
FOR rec IN
SELECT f.functionaryid, f.category,f.description
FROM functionaries f
where f.statecd=p_statecd

LOOP
return next rec;
END LOOP;
return;
end;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

In the functionaries table statecd is a null field. When I pass some integer
value to the above procedure it works correctly but if I pass null value in
p_statecd it doesn't show anything whereas it has values and if I write the
select statement separately it gives values

Thanks,
Jyoti