Re: Permanent settings

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Permanent settings
Date: 2008-02-19 19:32:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>

>>> IMO this should all be in the database and that's it. The idea that our
>>> global settings are in a file seems unusual consider we have a
>>> perfectly good storage engine available.
>>>

>> That doesn't work, because many settings must be loaded before the
>> database is fully operational.
>>

> Not to mention what would happen if the database had a problem so we
> couldn't read the config.

Although, on further reflection, we could probably meet both of these
objections by having the database maintain a text version of the config
which it would load on startup.

One other possible objection is that it would allow any superuser to
set things that currently require direct access to the config files, so
that would be a major change in security arrangements.

cheers

andrew