Bug (#3484) - Missing pg_clog/0AE6

From: Alexandra Nitzschke <an(at)clickware(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug (#3484) - Missing pg_clog/0AE6
Date: 2008-02-15 14:09:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

we retrieved again a database error:

pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: could not access status of transaction 2926020847
DETAIL: Could not open file "pg_clog/0AE6": Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden.
pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.adresse_080103 (id, adr_id, adt_id, name_1, name_2, name_3, land, plz, stadt, telefon, fax, kurznam
e, strasse, wga_id, steuer_nr, report_flags, zahlziel, email, aenderung_ts, aenderung_uid, name_1_old) TO stdout;

It occured on the same system the last error was thrown.

After the last error in December, we have updated postgres with the patch provided by Zdenek Kotala.
We have had a look at the log files if an error message was written by the catch-blocks of this patch.
But we haven't found any.

We are wondering about the table that is concerned by the error.
It's just a backup from the original table "adresse" and was created at 2008/01/03.
Since that time it wasn't used in any case, just by the nightly vacuum and the nightly pg_dump.

We have had an error with missing pg_clog-files some months ago, but at that time we used postgres version 8.1.3.
By now we are using 8.2.4.

Is it possible to fix the problem by creating the missing file containing only zeros?
I read about this on the internet.
Because the table ist not needed any more, we could experiment to fix the error in this way.
If its not possible I will drop the table.
But it would be nice to find out the problem and not to run into the same problem on an essential table.

I also read on the internet that there are problems with pg_clog when the database template1 ist not vaccumed regularly.

Regards
A. Nitzschke