Re: Function description

From: Gavin 'Beau' Baumanis <gavinb(at)eclinic(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bart Degryse <Bart(dot)Degryse(at)indicator(dot)be>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, PostgreSQL SQL List <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Function description
Date: 2008-02-15 11:46:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Bart,

Bart Degryse wrote:

> >> I'm sorry, but I don't have commandline access to the database.
> That would
> >> require an amount of trust and a level of competence our ICT
> department is incapable of.
> >
> >Well, if you have access to prt 5432 (or whatever you are using) on the
> >DB host you can run psql locally: psql -h <db-hostname>
>
> All I have is my desktop Windows pc. I work on the database using EMS
> SQL Manager for PostgreSQL.
> There I can run whatever statement I want, but it's not psql.
> What do you exactly mean with "run psql locally"? Should I be able to
> run some psql.exe
> from my windows cmd environment. Or should I start something else first?

The windows installer, available at;
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/

Allows you to install the DB and / OR the tools including psql
So you can just install the psql command line tool onto your local machine.

Also,
Could you ask for a restricted account on the box that runs the DB?
Ie an account that only has access to the DB tools and DB you require to
use?

I use ssh with a limited account to access a postgesql DB running on debian.
My account on the server only allows me access to my "home" directory
(think your own documents and settings folder - if you're a windows only
user...) on the server and the DB's that I have a requirement to use.
> >As a last resort you can always see how they work on a local copy, then
> >cut + paste the SQL.
> Here too, I don't know what you mean exactly with "a local copy".
Download the the whole PostreSQL package;
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/

The following link however is a good place to start it contains some
really good information and the same link above to download the windows
version of PostgreSQL.
http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/faq/FAQ_windows.html

Then run an instance of PostgreSQL on your desktop PC.
That way you have "local" access to the DB and all of it's tools too.
You can "play around" with it to your hearts content, run SQL
"scenarios" / test functions etc on your own copy of the DB.

Then when you're happy - perform the "locally tested" SQL upon your
production DB via your admin tool of choice.

Hope this helps.

--
If I can ever be of any further assistance, please contact me.

Gavin 'Beau' Baumanis

PalCare Pty Ltd

657 Nicholson Street
Carlton North