performance impact of non-C locale

From: Axel Rau <Axel(dot)Rau(at)chaos1(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: performance impact of non-C locale
Date: 2008-09-07 10:50:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi everyone,

some erp software requires a change of my pgsql cluster from
locale C encoding UTF-8
locale de_DE.UTF-8 encoding UTF-8

Most of my databases have only ASCII text data (8 bit UTF8 code range)
in the text columns.
Does the above change influence index performance on such columns?

Does postmaster keep track on any multibyte characters being inserted
in such columns, so that the planner can adapt?

What other performance impacts can be expected?

Axel
---