Re: JDBC, prepared queries, and partitioning

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, Stephen Denne <Stephen(dot)Denne(at)datamail(dot)co(dot)nz>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, PostgreSQL - JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC, prepared queries, and partitioning
Date: 2008-02-13 23:23:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Simon Riggs wrote:

> What we need is a "send parameters inline" mode that can be set as an
> option for a PreparedStatement. Nobody wants to use V2, we just want the
> ability to re-plan a query every time. Perhaps that is best implemented
> as a server side option that can be exposed via JDBC option, since this
> is an SQL requirement and nothing to do with Java.

Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too. Many of the
features specific to V3 *require* that parameters be sent out of line
(e.g. parameter metadata, bytea streaming, possibly OUT parameters)

As Kris said earlier in this thread what we really need is a way to tell
the server "I will only ever use this statement once, with these
particular parameter values, go ahead and optimize the plan on that basis"

-O