Re: JDBC, prepared queries, and partitioning

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, Stephen Denne <Stephen(dot)Denne(at)datamail(dot)co(dot)nz>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, PostgreSQL - JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC, prepared queries, and partitioning
Date: 2008-02-13 23:19:12
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 11:55 +1300, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Using the version 2 protocol means that parameter values are sent inline
> with the query, which avoids the planning issue (but raises a number of
> other problems since the v2 protocol is much less flexible than v3)
>
> > Can I use v2 against 8.3?
>
> I think so. You obviously lose any behaviour that depends on v3, e.g.
> parameter metadata and smarter bytea streaming.

What we need is a "send parameters inline" mode that can be set as an
option for a PreparedStatement. Nobody wants to use V2, we just want the
ability to re-plan a query every time. Perhaps that is best implemented
as a server side option that can be exposed via JDBC option, since this
is an SQL requirement and nothing to do with Java.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com