Re: bug in pgadmin 1.8.2: missing entry in 'Data Type' list

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Peter Gagarinov <heartofmars(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug in pgadmin 1.8.2: missing entry in 'Data Type' list
Date: 2008-02-13 14:56:35
Lists: pgadmin-support

Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> Dave Page wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 2008 9:12 PM, Peter Gagarinov <heartofmars(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> 1) create a simple table with two columns :
>>>
>>> create test_table(a integer, b integer);
>>>
>>> 2) go to 'New Table.." menu, type in some table name,
>>>
>>> 3) go to 'Columns' tab, type some column name, 'a' for instance
>>> and try to find type 'test_table' in the drop-down 'Data Type' list.
>>>
>>> You should see only test_table[], not test_table which doesn't seem
>>> correct.
>>
>> I *think* the original intent was to not show table types at all,
>> which probably got broken when array types were re-jigged for 8.3 -
>> however, I don't see why we wouldn't want to see them as they are
>> perfectly valid to use.
>
> There is a good reason not to show them by default - that list is long
> enough already, and weird enough for new users. Adding every single
> table you have makes it even more complex. So perhaps adding it, but not
> by default, enabled by a checkbox?

That's something I already heard at Solutions Linux 2008. I talked with
someone who has this kind of issues. This guy has lots of tables, so his
type combo box is really huge, and becomes actually unusable.

Table types are perfectly valid and we need to have them, but the combo
box becomes (is already?) unusable. We probably should think about
designing if differently : for example a text box and a button. The text
box allows someone to quickly, but manually, put a type, and the button
allows to open a new window with a listbox containing all types and two
checkboxes, one to add/remove array types, another one to add/remove
table types.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org