Re: Endless recovery

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Hans-Juergen Schoenig" <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Endless recovery
Date: 2008-02-11 09:26:08
Lists: pgsql-patches

Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
> Last week we have seen a problem with some horribly configured machine.
> The disk filled up (bad FSM ;) ) and once this happened the sysadmi killed the
> system (-9).
> After two days PostgreSQL has still not started up and they tried to restart it
> again and again making sure that the consistency check was started over an over
> again (thus causing more and more downtime).
> From the admi point of view there was no way to find out whether the machine
> was actually dead or still recovering.
>
> Here is a small patch which issues a log message indicating that the recovery
> process can take ages.
> Maybe this can prevent some admis from interrupting the recovery process.

Wait, are you saying that the time was spent in the rm_cleanup phase?
That sounds unbelievable. Surely the time was spent in the redo phase, no?

> In our case, the recovery process took 3.5 days !!

That's a ridiculously long time. Was this a normal recovery, not a PITR
archive recovery? Any idea why the recovery took so long? Given the max.
checkpoint timeout of 1h, I would expect that the recovery would take a
maximum of few hours even with an extremely write-heavy workload.

--
Heikki Linnakangas