Re: BUG #3941: Insert Error

From: Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: gnp yadav <gnperumal(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3941: Insert Error
Date: 2008-02-08 08:42:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

gnp yadav wrote:

> Bug reference: 3941
> Logged by: gnp yadav
> Email address: gnperumal(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1
> Operating system: Ubuntu Linux
> Details:
>
> CREATE TABLE sentence
> (
> sentence_id serial NOT NULL,
> citation_id int8 NOT NULL,
> sen_offset int8 NOT NULL,
> sen_length int8 NOT NULL,
> sen_type varchar(10)[] NOT NULL,
> CONSTRAINT sentence_id PRIMARY KEY (sentence_id),
> CONSTRAINT citation_id FOREIGN KEY (sentence_id)
> REFERENCES citation (citation_id) MATCH SIMPLE
> ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION
> ) ;
>
> INSERT INTO sentence (sentence_id, citation_id, sen_offset, sen_length,
> sen_type) VALUES (NULL,1,2,3,asd");
>

> As i Got This type error frequently
>
> ERROR: column "asd" does not exist
>
> please guide me, Advance thanks to for my teacher.

This is not a bug, at least not in Postgresql.

I'm surprised you didn't get a syntax error if that really is your
insert statement. If you use double quotes (") then you are referring to
a column name. If you want to insert a string you need to use single
quotes (').

e.g.

INSERT INTO sentence (citation_id, sen_offset, sen_length, sen_type)
VALUES (1,2,3,'asd');

However, I see you have declared sen_type as an array. Again if this was
intentional you need to specify an array value of some kind to fill it.

e.g.

INSERT INTO sentence (citation_id, sen_offset, sen_length, sen_type)
VALUES (1,2,3,'{asd}');

Notice also that sentence_id must be omitted from the insert as it is a
serial column.

I think you also need to read the manual more closely regarding arrays,
insert statements, strings and serial columns!

Cheers,
Gary.