Re: Why are we waiting?

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why are we waiting?
Date: 2008-02-05 14:14:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:

>> Basically I'd rather try to attack the problem with dtrace ...
>
> OK. I'll switch to Solaris. Or do you something I don't about dtrace on
> linux?

One idea would be to add new arguments to LWLockAcquire as you suggest,
but instead of modifying all call sites, decorate it with a macro that
passes __FILE__ and __LINE__ as the extra arguments. The good thing
about that is that it's a relatively small patch and you can easily
switch it on/off with a #ifdef. And there's no need to push for
inclusion of that into CVS, because it would be an easy patch to
maintain yourself.

--
Heikki Linnakangas