Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, cert(at)lists(dot)postgresqlcertification(dot)org, greg(at)tcscs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-02-05 12:13:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:

> you are absolutely true ...
> what i am trying to point out is the following: imagine simon riggs or
> yourself. you are definitely guys who should be allowed to certify people.
> so, somehow we have to "flag" people like you to allow them to issue
> certifications ...
>
> i would suggest that individual or companies who have contributed codes
> to the postgresql backend (or other major pg project like pgadmin,
> dbi-link or whatever) should have some "gold" status and that only those
> people are actually allowed to certify other people. this would help us
> to make sure that we don't have too many "wonnabies" around and we can
> ensure top quality.
> i would suggest the policy: "if you want to certify people, send us a
> patch proving that you know how pg really works". this would give the
> entire thing a really professional look and it would be a very straight
> and easy rule.
> if we don't ensure top quality, the entire thing is worthless. if every
> half-professional is allowed to certify, we can already stop before we
> start.

Well, I think knowing how something works and actually able to tell
somebody about it so he understands are different matters.

While top visible committers and drivers for the postgres developement
are of course in a situation to review the material, some other
process should be established to actually develop the certification
course.

This is more similar to the documentation of postgres and the
contributors to that could be first address for getting good
certification questions. Having some skills in teaching would
also not hurt.

Just my 2e-9 ct.

Tino