failed to build any 8-way joins: SQLSTATE: XX000 on PostgreSQL 8.2.6

From: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: failed to build any 8-way joins: SQLSTATE: XX000 on PostgreSQL 8.2.6
Date: 2008-02-05 04:24:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all, I've seen other mentions of this happening but this instance is
with a newer server version than the ones that had a patch applied.

Basically, 8 LEFT JOINs, and removing any one of them stop the symptom.
I'll provide more data if the query in itself doesn't not indicate
what's causing the problem...

-Ken

SELECT
NOW() AS a,
host.hostname AS b,
host.serverdom AS c,
host.sitename AS d,
host.appname AS e,
site.rowid AS f,
site.namefirst AS g,
pers.rowid AS h,
pers.uuid AS i,
pers.namefirst AS j,
pers.nameLast AS k,
logon.token AS l,
siteTz.timezone_id AS o,
siteTz.id AS p,
persTz.timezone_id AS q,
persTz.id AS r,
compTz.timezone_id AS s,
compTz.id AS t
FROM http_host AS host
LEFT JOIN contact AS site ON host.join_contact = site.rowid
LEFT JOIN contact_timezones AS siteTz ON site.timezoneId =
siteTz.timezone_id
LEFT JOIN contact AS pers ON LOWER(pers.logonName) = LOWER('ken')
LEFT JOIN contact_timezones AS persTz ON pers.timezoneId =
persTz.timezone_id
LEFT JOIN contact_rela AS persParent ON pers.rowid = persParent.childId
LEFT JOIN contact AS comp ON persParent.parentId = comp.rowid
LEFT JOIN contact_timezones AS compTz ON comp.timezoneId =
compTz.timezone_id
LEFT JOIN contact_logon AS logon ON pers.rowid = logon.join_contact
WHERE host.hostname = 'localhost'