Re: configurability of OOM killer

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: configurability of OOM killer
Date: 2008-02-04 14:00:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> ... OOM_Killer
>>

> Egad. Whoever thought *this* was a good idea should be taken out
> and shot:

If I read this right, http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/9/275 even the
shared memory is counted many times (once per child) for the
parent process - even though it's (obviously) not copy-on-write
so the shared memory's unlikely to contribute to problems.

I wonder if postgres startup should write something (warning?
at least log?) in the log file if the OOM killer is enabled. I assume
most people who care deeply about their database dying would notice a
warning in log files; while most people who don't mind the OOM killer
also wouldn't be too bothered by extra noise in the file.