Re: PostgreSQL on a CompactFlash

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Andre Nieder <ANieder(at)advaoptical(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on a CompactFlash
Date: 2008-02-01 21:17:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Andre,

> As you know a cf card has not an unlimited amount of accesses…

Do we really know?
Or are we just repeating the same story we were told once?
I know that technically speaking you are right but the media have smart
contollers to avoid problems with this fact.
I remember reading in a german computer journal that they were trying
really hard to write a USB stick to death but gave up after 16 000 000
write cycles to the same logical adress without any error.

Is there a theoretical limit or a practical one?
I'd be really interested in a real world test - does postgres work on as
cf-card/usb-stick and how long?
If anyone has got numbers - please let me know.

Regards,

Brar