Disk configurations....

From: Nathan Wilhelmi <wilhelmi(at)ucar(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Disk configurations....
Date: 2008-01-24 19:21:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello - Typically case of a software guy needing to spec hardware for a
new DB server. Further typified case of not knowing exact amount of data
and I/O patterns. So if you were to spec a disk system for a new general
purpose PostgreSQL server any suggestions of what to start with?

Details I have:

1) We think 500GB is enough storage for the DB.
2) I would guess 66% read 33% write patterns, maybe closer to 50/50.

I would assume that we would want to go SCSI raid. Would you do the
whole disk array as Raid 5 or whole you partition it up differently?
Would you go with 3x300gb disks or would you use more smaller disks to
get there?

Any other gotchas or suggestions to look for?

Thanks!

-Nate