Re: Problem of capital case-insensitive letter with accent

From: Colin Wetherbee <cww(at)denterprises(dot)org>
To: lan ping <pinglanmtl(at)yahoo(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem of capital case-insensitive letter with accent
Date: 2008-01-21 19:26:10
Lists: pgsql-general

lan ping wrote:
> Hi, there
>
> In our database, some customers' names contain French accent like
> É,é,È,è. In one server, case-insensitive search works for capital
> letters. For example,
> SELECT lower('ÉÈ') could return éè . But the other server cannot.
>
> It is very strange, as the two server use the same Fedora linux, and
> the same
> version of Postgres(8.2.4). We all use LATIN1 encoding.
>
> Could you give me a hand? Thank you very much.

Are you sure you're using LATIN1 on both?

js=# \l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
-----------+----------+----------
js | cww | UTF8
test | cww | LATIN1
[ ...snip... ]

js=# SELECT lower('ÉÈ');
lower
-------
éè
(1 row)

js=# \c test
You are now connected to database "test".
test=# SELECT lower('ÉÈ');
lower
-------
ÉÈ
(1 row)

It seems the UTF8 database performs lower() correctly, but the LATIN1
database does not.

Colin