Re: (possible) bug with constraint exclusion

From: Christian Schröder <cs(at)deriva(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (possible) bug with constraint exclusion
Date: 2008-01-21 13:48:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-sql

Hi list,
> It's a bug, it's patched:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-01/msg00184.php

I have just stumbled on the same bug today and was very happy to find a
patch; however, I have a 8.2.6 server running which of course cannot be
patched. (According to the CVS tags the revisions of plancat.c and
predtest.c in the 8.2.6 release are 1.127 and 1.10.2.2, respectively,
whereas the patch is against the head revisions.)
Would it be possible to provide a patch against the 8.2.6 stable release
(the one that can be downloaded from the download section of the
homepage)? It seems as if partitioning is unusable without this patch
because when constraint exclusion is enabled, records cannot be found by
select or update even in tables where partitioning is not realized at
all. On the other hand, without constraint exclusion, partitioning at
all doesn't make sense (as far as I understand).
Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
Christian

--
Deriva GmbH Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting Fax: +49 551 489500-91

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer