Build problem with square brackets in build path

From: Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan(at)nataraj(dot)su>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Build problem with square brackets in build path
Date: 2023-04-28 11:09:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am not sure it is really a bug, but nevertheless

If you do

mkdir [source]
git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git [source]
mkdir build; cd build
../\[source\]/configure
make

you will get

make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'generated-headers'. Stop.

If there are no "[]" in the path to the source, everything is OK.

It would be OK for me, if it still does not work. But I would appreciate at
least proper error message there (or at configure step), this would save time,
for figuring out, why it suddenly stopped working.

--
Nikolay Shaplov aka Nataraj
Fuzzing Engineer at Postgres Professional