Re: Sun acquires MySQL

From: Weslee Bilodeau <weslee(dot)bilodeau(at)hypermediasystems(dot)com>
To: Russ Brown <pickscrape(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sun acquires MySQL
Date: 2008-01-16 15:56:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Russ Brown wrote:
> http://blogs.mysql.com/kaj/sun-acquires-mysql.html/
>
> What does this mean for Sun's support of Postgres?

Speaking from pure opinion here :)

Oracle for example is buying out the little techs that MySQL relies on -
BDB and InnoDB.

The main company, MySQL AB was all that was left to effectively give
them control of MySQL.

PostgreSQL obviously doesn't have this risk - No one company holds that
much power, and even the -core team is split between the various
supporting companies around PostgreSQL.

Sun wants to support both.
If you wanted to ensure MySQL continued as a company, and you had the
money, its not a bad idea really.

Sun buys MySQL AB, ensures it continues.

I don't see Sun's support of PostgreSQL going away though.
I'm sure they have various support contracts out, not to mention various
employees working on it.

Sun can still contribute equally to PostgreSQL, and it can still make
just as much money on PostgreSQL as it does on MySQL.

Though PostgreSQL I imagine is cheaper as the community does more of the
work, they can just provide the additional support. MySQL they have
additional costs as they do more of the development.

I'm actually very curious now that Sun owns it, will they change how the
community contributes to the database?

I personally prefer the PostgreSQL community, joining and contributing
to the community I've found to be easier.

Then there is - How will Oracle feel about Solaris now?
Before Sun just supported the competition, it didn't "own" a direct
competitor.

Weslee