COPY encoding

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: COPY encoding
Date: 2008-01-16 00:35:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In helping someome on IRC it has become apparent that unless I am
mistaken "COPY foo from 'filename'" is reading the file according to the
client encoding.

Is that the expected behaviour? The client might have no influence at
all on the contents of the file. Offhand, I would have said that a
server-resident file should be interpreted in the database encoding. Of
course, the client could change its encoding to influence how the file
is interpreted, but that seems rather kludgy. Maybe we really need an
encoding parameter to the COPY command.

At the very least we should document the encoding behaviour.

cheers

andrew