Re: Linux/PostgreSQL scalability issue - problem with 8 cores

From: Jakub Ouhrabka <kuba(at)comgate(dot)cz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux/PostgreSQL scalability issue - problem with 8 cores
Date: 2008-01-15 17:06:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Okay, for a table of just a few entries I agree that DELETE is
> probably better. But don't forget you're going to need to have those
> tables vacuumed fairly regularly now, else they'll start to bloat.

I think we'll go with DELETE also for another reason:

Just after we figured out the cause of the spikes we started to
investigate a long-term issue we had with PostgreSQL: pg_dump of big
database was blocking some of our applications. And yes, we replaced
TRUNCATE with DELETE and everything is running as expected.

Looking at the docs now I see there is a new paragraph in 8.3 docs
mentioning that TRUNCATE is not MVCC-safe and also the blocking issue.
It's a pity that the warning wasn't there in 7.1 times :-)

Thanks,

Kuba