Re: Declarative partitioning grammar

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Cohen <jcohen(at)greenplum(dot)com>, Warren Turkal <turkal(at)google(dot)com>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning grammar
Date: 2008-01-15 16:50:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Tom Lane wrote:
> DBAs tend to be belt *and* suspenders guys, no?

I rather know those admins with stupid looking faces who are wondering
why their transactions fail. Often enough, that can have a lot of
different reasons. Extending the set of possible traps doesn't seem like
a clever idea for those admins.

> I'd think a lot of them
> would want a table constraint, plus a partitioning rule that rejects
> anything outside the intended partitions.

I'm rather a fan of the DRY principle (don't repeat yourself). Because
having to maintain redundant constraints smells suspiciously like a
maintenance nightmare.

And where's the real use of making the database system check twice? Want
to protect against memory corruption in between the two checks, eh? :-)

Regards

Markus