Re: PATCH to allow concurrent VACUUMs to not lock each

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH to allow concurrent VACUUMs to not lock each
Date: 2005-07-03 16:19:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net> writes:
> Ok, this is a new version of the vacuum patch with the following changes
> following some suggestions in this thread.

The more I look at this, the uglier it looks ... and I still haven't
seen any convincing demonstration that it *works*, ie doesn't have
bad side-effects on the transaction-is-in-progress logic. I'm
particularly concerned about what happens to the RecentXmin horizon
for pg_subtrans and pg_multixact operations.