Re: trigger for TRUNCATE?

From: Gerardo Herzig <gherzig(at)fmed(dot)uba(dot)ar>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trigger for TRUNCATE?
Date: 2008-01-10 18:12:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom Lane wrote:

>Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>

>>Gerardo Herzig escribió:
>>

>>>Yes, the TRUNCATE statement is not sql ansi, maybe is a more low level
>>>thing than i think.
>>>

>>TRUNCATE currently does not fire triggers, but that doesn't mean it's
>>impossible to do it. I think it would be fairly easy to add support
>>for that.
>>

>The entire point of TRUNCATE is to not do a table scan, so making it
>fire per-row triggers seems pretty misguided to me.
>
>We could maybe make it fire per-statement ON DELETE triggers, but
>there's a future-proofing pitfall in that: someday it'd be nice
>for statement-level triggers to have access to the set of deleted rows,
>and then you'd be stuck either scanning the table or having TRUNCATE
>act differently from plain DELETE.
>
>My feeling is that if you want to know what was deleted, you shouldn't
>use TRUNCATE.
>
> regards, tom lane

I 100% agree, i can live using delete instead, but i can't ensure the
whole team i work with will not use TRUNCATE. It was my bad naming the
thread with such a contradictory name, im just looking the way to
capture it in any form. I would even consider the posibility of
*ignoring* a TRUNCATE command, if thats possible.

Thanks you all, dudes!
Gerardo