Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps
Date: 2008-01-07 12:59:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Csaba,

Csaba Nagy wrote:
> One additional thought: what about a kind of "segment fill factor" ?
> Meaning: each segment has some free space reserved for future
> updates/inserts of records in the same range of it's partitioning
> constraint. And when inserting/updating you put the new record into the
> corresponding segment... just like a very coarse clustering.

Hm.. yeah. That way, a few writes to a "read optimized" segment could be
accepted, without having to drop the optimization immediately. And the
other way around: generally prevent having to drop the optimization by
forcing tuples to be written to a segment with matching min/max tuples.
Although, that's not exactly trivial, I think.

However, for tables which don't fit the use case of SE, people certainly
don't want such a fill factor to bloat their tables.

Regards

Markus