Re: Bug #920: The PostgreSql Server goes down

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kallol(at)aworkflow(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #920: The PostgreSql Server goes down
Date: 2003-03-26 14:35:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> FATAL 2: open of /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog/0C81 failed: No such file or directory

This indicates corrupted data --- specifically, a trashed transaction ID
in a row header. In all the cases I've been able to examine, this was
just the first symptom of more widespread corruption (usually, a whole
disk page is trashed). I recommend checking for hardware problems;
you may have bad RAM or a flaky disk drive or cable.