Re: BUG #3833: Index remains when table is dropped

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3833: Index remains when table is dropped
Date: 2008-01-03 21:56:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I encountered this bug recently - and thought I'd have a try at seeing
what might fix it.

Taking an exclusive lock on the to-be-dropped table immediately (i.e in
RemoveRel) seems to be enough to prevent the drop starting while an
index is being created in another session. So it "fixes" the issue -
possible objections that I can think of are:

1/ Not a general solution to multi session dependent drop/create of
objects other than tables (unless we do 2/)
2/ Using this approach in all object dropping code may result in
deadlocks (but is this worse than dangling/mangled objects?)

Now, I'm conscious that there could be other show stopper reasons for
*not* doing this that I have not thought of, but figured I'd post in
case the idea was useful. Thoughts?

Cheers

Mark

Attachment Content-Type Size
tablecmds.c.patch text/x-patch 352 bytes