Re: TypeInfoCache

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Subject: Re: TypeInfoCache
Date: 2007-12-27 08:40:02
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello, dear JDBC mailing list members,

At first I hope you all had a merry christmas. Regarding the patch I
sent, another important argument is this one: I createt a benchmark for
getCharacterStream vs. getStream running on a table with a varchar(50)
and a text column, each containing 50 chars of data. These are the
benchmarks for the differences of calling 1000 times the given function
on a Core2Duo 2Ghz and JDK1.5:

getString on text_col took 8.27384ms
getCharacterStream on text_col took 14.26489ms
Factor: 1.724095462324628
getString on varchar_col took 9.57153ms
getCharacterStream on varchar_col took 12.76733ms
Factor: 1.3338860140437319

Please note only the getString() vs.
getCharacterStream()+creatingAString are benchmarked, not the DB
connection itself (which is the real bottleneck). And please note only
those applications that really use getCharacterStream are a bit slower,
but as I explained in my previous mails, they do it for a good reason.

Conclusion: There is no real performance loss even in the worst case
(which should never occur anyway), so please accept my patch. I wish you
all a happy new year!

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski

Attachment Content-Type Size
StringVsStreamTest.java text/plain 2.9 KB