Re: PATCH: generate fractional cheapest paths in generate_orderedappend_path

From: Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: generate fractional cheapest paths in generate_orderedappend_path
Date: 2021-06-03 17:17:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I haven't tested the parallel case, but I think we should sort out (3) get_cheapest_fractional_path_for_pathkeys as mentioned above.

I am lost about the comment regarding startup_new_fractional. Could you elaborate what you mean by that?

Apart from that, I'd argue for a small test case. I attached a slimmed down case of what we were trying to fix. It might be worth to integrate that with an existing test, since more than a third of the time seems to be consumed by the creation and attachment of partitions.

Regards
Arne

Attachment Content-Type Size
merge-fraction-cheapest_example.sql application/sql 890 bytes