Re: Trouble running PostgreSQL server / Server must be started under certain locale.

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Geoff Ellingwood <neppyman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trouble running PostgreSQL server / Server must be started under certain locale.
Date: 2007-12-20 08:27:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Geoff Ellingwood wrote:

> I think my best bet is going to be to nuke my 8.1 installation from orbit
> (after making a backup of the cluster directory) and let Ubuntu configure it
> correctly with whatever locale managed to squeeze itself into my system.

That's not the problem, the problem is that the locale for all your data
has changed. You need to get the original locale back *then* get PG
running and pg_dump your databases. Once you have dumps you can do what
you like with the locales and restore your dumps.

The problem is that any sorting (e.g. all your indexes) are only valid
for a given locale and its sorting rules. You no longer have the locale
for the database installed. You probably have an identical one with a
slightly different name, but there's no way the system will know that.

Get your system back to "pure" Ubuntu and work forward from there.

Alternatively, you might be able to do something with a live-cd, but
that'll be fiddly and if you can't immediately see how that might be
made to work, I'd concentrate on reversing the non-Ubuntu packages out
of your system.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd