Multi-threading friendliness (was: libgcc double-free, backend won't die)

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multi-threading friendliness (was: libgcc double-free, backend won't die)
Date: 2007-12-17 19:35:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> James Mansion wrote:
>> I think you have your head in the ground, but its your perogative.
>> *You* might not care, but anyone wanting to use thread-aware libraries
>> (and I'm *not* talking about threading in any Postgres code) will
>> certainly value it if they can do so with some stability.
>
> I suggest you find out the cause of your problem and then we can do more
> research. Talking about us changing the Postgres behavior from the
> report of one user who doesn't even have the full details isn't
> productive.

I think you're confusing James Mansion with me (Craig James). I'm the one with the unresolved problem.

James is suggesting, completely independently of whether or not there's a bug in my system, that a thread-friendly option for Postgres would be very useful.

Don't confuse thread-friendly with a threaded implemetation of Postgres itself. These are two separate questions. Thread-friendly involves compile/link options that don't affect the Postgres source code at all.

Craig