Re: Transaction vs. Savepoints

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction vs. Savepoints
Date: 2007-02-09 05:58:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

> As far as I know, PG handles 1 transaction per connection an several
> savepoints boxed within.
> E.G. T1 ( Sp1, Sp2, Sp3 )
> I could commit Sp1, rollback Sp2 and commit Sp3 in a session.
> If I commit T1 all those actions get permanently written to to DB
> whereas if I rollback T1 all committed savepoints within get rolled
> back, too.

As far as I know, Postgresql defaults to one transaction from ~every~ statement, not per every
connection. You do have the option to explicitly open a transaction at the beginning of a
connection and commit at the end, but it certainly isn't the default. if your connection crashes,
all commited transactions remain commited.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.