Re: BUG #3818: Cross compilation problems

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Richard Evans <richard(dot)evans(at)blueallegro(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3818: Cross compilation problems
Date: 2007-12-15 16:22:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Richard Evans wrote:

> Bug reference: 3818
> Logged by: Richard Evans
> Email address: richard(dot)evans(at)blueallegro(dot)net
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3beta
> Operating system: Linux/windows
> Details:
>
> I've been investigating cross-compiling for mingw32 on a linux build system.
> I used the current snapshot since it has a fix for the gettimeofday problem
> with new mingw installs.

Out of curiosity, why?

> Mostly it worked, but there were a few problems which I think can all be
> fixed in the configure script:
>
> 1. The configure script does not check for cross-compile installs of ar,
> dlltool, dllwrap and windres. It manages to find the cross compile gcc
> (mingw32-gcc in my install), but does not check for mingw32-dlltool, etc.
> You work round this by setting AR= DLLTOOL= and DLLWRAP= on the make line
> but ideally it should be done in the configure stage.
>
> 2. The Makefile in pgevent/bin refers to dllwrap directly, not $(DLLWRAP).

This is a definite oversight, so I've fixed this in HEAD.

> 3. Several makefiles use windres directly; there is no $(WINDRES) variable
> which can be set.
>
> 4. The zic problem in make install - see bug #1311. Simple solution here is
> to have a configure option which allows the use of the build systems own zic
> command.
>
> I may try coming up with some patches to configure to check for dlltool, etc
> but I haven't edited configure files before.

The rest of this is definitely not 8.3 material. But if you come up with
patches for 8.4, I'm sure we'd be interested ;-) If you have any
specific questions about the autoconf stuff (or any other parts of it),
just post it to -hackers.

> Once I worked round these problems I was able to cross compile a working
> postgres for mingw32 on a linux host.

Cool!

//Magnus