Re: Encrypting a single column

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Glyn Astill" <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Encrypting a single column
Date: 2007-12-14 17:54:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

>>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 10:30 AM, in message
<659515(dot)22036(dot)qm(at)web25809(dot)mail(dot)ukl(dot)yahoo(dot)com>, Glyn Astill
<glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> We need to encrypt an individual column in a table. I've noticed that
> pgcrypto can do this.
>
> However we have one problem, our software runs through a closed
> source "connectivity kit" that allows it to use a postgres dbms, so
> our programs cant sent an individual sql statement to give the
> password.

I assume that you're trying to protect against a backup of the
database falling into the wrong hands? If so, your connectivity
layer should be doing the work. Get the vendor to support what you
need or replace the layer with something which has better support
(or that you can support yourselves).

Any solution which includes what's necessary for decryption in the
dump will not really be much of a solution.

If you're trying to protect against something else, please clarify.

-Kevin