Re: whats the deal with -u ?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: whats the deal with -u ?
Date: 2007-12-12 00:10:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> On Sun, Dec 9, 2007 at 6:37 PM, in message
<20071210003750(dot)GA5624(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> I have never understood what's the point of having an option to force a
> password prompt. I wonder why don't we deprecate -W?

I occasionally find it useful for situations where I have a .pgpass
entry which would normally cover a database, but I have temporarily
changed the password to prevent conflicting usage during maintenance
or testing. (For example, while "borrowing" a machine which is
normally part of the production load for a series of benchmarks
under the beta release.)

There would be other ways to deal with it if this were gone, but
it is convenient.

-Kevin