Re: Number of connections

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Number of connections
Date: 2007-12-10 15:41:48
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Roberts, Jon wrote:
> I would think far less code would be needed if the tool could be configured
> to only use one connection.

How'd you figure that? You'd need to write the connection pooler, start
tracking connection states in far more detail than we do now, and
potentially have to start new connections (which is expensive) in
response to UI interactions which the user may well expect to be almost
instantaneous.

More importantly, I don't imagine you'd save much anyway - connections
are relatively cheap, and pgAdmin only creates them when you actually
need them (and closes them when you close Windows for which they were
created). I can't imagine such an architecture saving more than 1 in ten
connections at best.

Regards, Dave.