Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin

From: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)reynolds(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Postgresql ODBC List <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 60 Seconds to connected to Postgresql using ODBC or PGAdmin
Date: 2007-11-29 09:01:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> In this case, the OP's servers is localhost. Would this indicate the DNS (foward|reverse) issue?
>
> Regards,
> Richard Broersma Jr.

I'd suggest that indicates something else going on the system - a
firewall, proxy, virus scanner that's intercepting the connection and
taking a while to let it through.

I have a similar problem with Trend Internet Security on my laptop - it
has a proxy service built in which will occasionally make my web
browser, email client and other outgoing connection attempts (incl.
sometimes PGAdminIII) take an excessive amount of time before they get
through.

It would perhaps be worthwhile running something like WireShark to see
what network activity is taking place.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator