Re: [pgsql-eu-general] an admin team for the new European servers

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info
Cc: PostgreSQL EU General <pgsql-eu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-eu-general] an admin team for the new European servers
Date: 2007-11-21 14:55:05
Lists: pgeu-general pgsql-www

damien clochard wrote:
> Dalibo would like to see such group created to administrate the servers
> dedicated to PostgreSQL Europe.
>
> So here's a bunch of questions for you all :
>
> 1/ Who wants to admin this 2 servers ?
> 2/ What do we install on them ? What do we need ?
> 3/ How do we name them ? ;-)
>
> We have something like 30 days to answer these questions :-)
>
> I'm sending this e-mail to pgsql-www to see if they have ideas or advice on
> the subject.

I would suggest we manage the machines alongside the existing global
infrastructure to avoid duplication of effort wrt to monitoring, upgrade
planning and so on. We can also configure them in the same way as our
other servers such that services can be replicated to other machines
where they can be re-hosted in case of emergency.

Among the four or five admins for the global stuff are Magnus Hagander,
Stefan Kaltenbrunner and myself, so we already have a strong European
presence.

Regards, Dave