Re: Normalization tools for postgres?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Dane Springmeyer <blake(at)hailmail(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Normalization tools for postgres?
Date: 2007-11-21 08:34:17
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-php

Please don't start a new thread by replying to another question.

If you are going to do that, please don't cross-post it in addition.
This doesn't appear to be anything to do with PHP.

Dane Springmeyer wrote:
> Anyone have recommendations on tools/utilities or SQL approaches to
> quickly break apart a large imported flat file into normal forms,
> ideally 1NF or 2NF?

I don't know of any tool that could do this automatically. Without
understanding what the columns *mean* how could it.

> I noticed this tool for mySQL which captures what I am looking for:
> http://www.sqldbu.com/eng/sections/tips/normalize.html

Well, given that the example just shows the author doesn't know what 1NF
means, I don't think it does do what you want.

> Given the fields with data to be output into separate tables, it takes a
> csv and automatically generates a set of INSERT queries to build all the
> related tables with new a new primary key for the main table and
> serialized codes for each of the new tables to maintain relationships.

I don't see any reason why the INSERTs won't work for PG just as well.

> Perhaps a customized php script could accomplish the same thing for
> postgres?
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.

Can you state what problem you are trying to solve? Do people just email
you flat files and ask you to send them a relational database back? Is
there a specific file that gets imported on a regular basis?

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd