Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Conference 08 East!

From: Walter Vaughan <wvaughan(at)steelerubber(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Conference 08 East!
Date: 2007-11-20 15:49:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> It's that time, after a wildly successful conference last October in
> Portland, Oregon we are now beginning to ramp up for the East Coast 08
> conference! The current plan is to host a two day conference of
> Tutorials (new) and Talks on March 28th and 29th. The currently
> designated location for the conference is the Univserity of Maryland.
> This will be confirmed within two weeks.

I just checked... that is Sweet16 weekend for NCAA tournament, but games will
not be in the area, so that is not an issue.

I'm guessing the facilities will be donated, but it'll be pretty pricey for
attendees to stay and move about since it will be the week after spring break,
and nothing is cheap in that area unless you are a UM student and there is no
incremental cost to attend.

I'd like to send three people, but I'd also like to keep the cost of the trip to
less than a MS-SQL workgroup processor license.

Perhaps a future East coast event could just take over an Embassy Suites and
have the entire event self contained. At least in a place like that, you have a
hot breakfast included, and free drinks from 5 to 7 or so. Sponsors can hang
banners over the rails. It's just a matter of driving or flying in. Networking
opportunities are multiplied, and if you get tired, you just take the elevator
back to your room.

--
Walter