Re: Location of PGCon EU

From: Jean-Paul Argudo <jpargudo(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL EU General <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Location of PGCon EU
Date: 2007-11-13 17:45:42
Lists: pgeu-general

Hi all,

Since I was quite busy, I apologize I did not took time to follow the
discussion on PGEu list.

But now, I did read it all and I think I can add my 2 cents here.

Last time I checked this list, I remember everyone was considering
Vienna (or was it Prague? :-p).

My point of view is "wherever". Just because we'll do it like many
international events: each year a new place...

The thing is I'd like the city to be fixed once for all, as we can start
the real thing.

IMHO, Paris is a bad choice. Because it is not cheap, and because
PostgreSQLFr will not have enough money and people to organize it.

We'll have to organize the Solutions Linux 2008 PostgreSQL Booth too, by
january, since this (main french) linux exhibit takes places from 31st
january to 1st february. So PostgreSQLFr team will be then quite busy.

IMHO, Vienna or Prague are excellent choices. Both have nice PostgreSQL
guys, and Austria has Cybertec too... I'll personaly vote for Vienna then.

IMHO, we *should not* do it again in Prato. Just because they worked
hard to make it real good, some others have to do it now. Let's do it
each year a different place, don't you think?

> I think, we can agree, that we have some options in (central) europe:
> Prato, Paris, Prague, Vienna to name some.

I think you may add this Ukrenian City some talked about, and you have
the final poll proposal.

So I'm +1 for a quick poll on the subject.

Think that, anyway, your turn will come, and that It won't be good
everywhere every year. Thats it. The most important thing to me is to
show the world that the PostgreSQL community is not just about free
code, but also human beings working and alose having fun meeting each
other everywhere.

Thats what I remind of my trips to Toronto (pg anniversary), Frankfurt
(OSDB Con) or Prato (pgday). More than code and new features, the best
part was to meet each other and discuss the project, or even simple
things of life.

> By the way, 3 1/2 months left until FOSDEM.

2 1/2 to Solutions Linux 2008 Paris :-/

You can count on PostgreSQLFr guys to help you as much as possible.
We'll translate every single page on the main website, for example.
We'll promote the event, etc..

But on the material things, that will be more difficult. Just because
we'll never be there unless we take holidays to help you out over there.

About money, don't even count on our bankroll. We're «short stack», but
planing to refund some time soon (sponsorship?).

Cheers,

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org