Re: BUG #3737: lower/upper fails to match extended chars in LATIN1

From: Jonas Forsman <jonas(dot)forsman(at)openit(dot)se>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #3737: lower/upper fails to match extended chars in LATIN1
Date: 2007-11-12 09:17:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

From my point of view (administrators view, not developers) it is such
a drawback
in postgres implementation that it seriously challenges the position as
a competitor
to the big dragons. (IF they suffer from the same missing feature)

Recreating indicies is maybe not great but can be done quit easily compared
to reinitializing a db or recoding an entire database.
Sometimes a bit of a solution is all what it is needed. Would it be possible
to change the locale on the fly and only recreate indicies afterwards?

/ Jonas

ps. I'd love to send you a patch, but there is no way it would be a good
thing
time/performance wise for me doing this. I am trying to be a great
ambassador though,
spreading the words everywhere. ds.

Heikki Linnakangas skrev:
> (please keep the list cc'd)
>
> Jonas Forsman wrote:
>> if I cannot change charset within a postgres installation
>> and then benefit from all the features in postgres isn't that to be
>> seen as a bug
>> or at least it should be a workaround easier than dumping everything
>> which I think is a too large risk to take if not really neccessary.
>
> Well, it's not a bug in the sense that it's documented and working as
> designed.
>
> But I agree that it sucks. Unfortunately changing the locale
> on-the-fly isn't as easy as it might sound. The locale affects the
> sort-ordering, for example, which means that you'd have to at least
> recreate all indexes with text data in them anyway.
>
> Changing the character encoding would be even worse. You'd have to
> re-encode all data, which means rewriting all data in the database.
>
> The best solution would be to support per-database and even per-table
> and per-column locales and character encodings, so that you could do
> the conversions piece by piece. Patches are welcome :-).

Jonas Forsman
VD, Axier Technologies AB
Malmgatan 2
SE-703 54 Örebro,
SWEDEN
Tel.: +46 (0)19 12 00 90
Mobile: +46 (0)73 506 33 00
jonas(dot)forsman(at)openit(dot)se

information intended for a specific individual and purpose,
and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.