Re: Curious about dead rows.

From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Curious about dead rows.
Date: 2007-11-10 19:57:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:38:23 -0500 Jean-David Beyer
> <jeandavid8(at)verizon(dot)net> wrote:

>>> OK, you agree that if I am doing only INSERTs, that there should not
>>> be any dead rows. Therefore, I _must_ be doing deletes or updates.
>>>
>>> But the program is pretty simple, and I see no UPDATEs or DELETEs. I
>>> searched all the program source files (that contain none of them) and
>>> all the libraries I have written, and they have none either. Right
>>> now the programs are not to the state where UPDATEs or DELETEs are
>>> required (though they will be later). I am still developing them and
>>> it is easier to just restore from backup or start over from the
>>> beginning since most of the changes are data laundering from an
>>> ever-increasing number of spreadsheets.
>>>
>>> Am I right that TRUNCATE deletes all the rows of a table. They may
>>> then be still there, but would not autovacuum clean out the dead
>>> rows? Or maybe it has not gotten to them yet? I could do an explicit
>>> one earlier.
>
> Truncate will not create dead rows. However ROLLBACK will. Are you
> getting any duplicate key errors or anything like that when you insert?

On the mistaken assumption that TRUNCATE left dead rows, I did a
VACUUM FULL ANALYZE before running the program full of INSERTs. This did not
make any difference.

As far as ROLLBACK are concerned, every one is immediately preceded by a
message output to the standard error file, and no such messages are produced.

^^-^^ 14:50:01 up 18 days, 8:08, 5 users, load average: 5.23, 5.35, 5.34