Easier sorting & searching in the edit grid?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Easier sorting & searching in the edit grid?
Date: 2007-11-09 01:39:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

I'd like to propose a tiny addition to the edit grid that shows tables
and query results.
The sorting&filter dialog is most of the time overkill when I just want
to look something up.

I'd be nice to have additional command buttons like you find e.g. in
MS-Office:
One clicks into a column and then

1) a) "A-->Z"
b) "Z-->A" to sort the grid by this column.

2) a) A button that asks for a value to search within this column.
b) continue

Or set filters on this column:
3) a) show just records that have the same value in this column as
the cell that has the focus right now.
b) NOT (1)

4) ask for an expression X and set a filter on the current column.
This might be more work so it isn't a priority but it'd be really helpful.
E.g. mouse click in column "some_number".
Then click button and enter : ">100 and <900 or null"
pgAdmin would expand this to:
(some_number > 100) AND (some_number < 900) OR (some_number IS NULL)

I think even just 1) - 3) would save a whole lot of typing and retyping
b/c of wrong spelling.

Regards
Andreas