Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?

From: Alex N Markelov <alex(dot)markelov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?
Date: 2007-11-06 23:29:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>>> I think the best possible PostgreSQL marketing would be for someone to
>>> develop a knock-your-socks-off killer app. It wouldn't have to be

Hi Guys!

May I suggest that in trying to find a killer app we may never get the
word out there :-). Everyone has his vision of a killer app and we may
never find that very one that will satisfy us all and truly be a killer.

I think what made MySQL so popular is that people just went creating
*all* sorts of apps and tools based on it, creating the critical mass,
so you start hearing the word 'MySQL' on every corner.

Why don't we just start building our own big pool of apps (I know we
have plenty already) or even porting existing MySQL based apps to
PostgreSQL, showcasing the best features we have that MySQL lacks? We do
not have to say 'look how bad MySQL is comparing to PostgreSQL', rather
'look you'll have it better way with PostgreSQL'.

I think this way we have more chances to create the demand and publicity
for our favourite RDBMS.

Regards,
Alex.

--
"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...
Let me claim from you at all times your undisguised opinions."

PGP fingerprint: 9189 2ADE 6B32 DC1D 0317 603B 3757 936B 052A 8B73
PGP public key:
http://www.markelov.org/misc/Alex.Markelov_at_gmail.com_0x052A8B73_pub.asc