Re: pgAdmin 1.8RC1 - failed to launch on Mac OS X

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: chokladzingo <sfransson(at)telia(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin 1.8RC1 - failed to launch on Mac OS X
Date: 2007-11-05 15:30:24
Lists: pgadmin-support

chokladzingo wrote:

> giannibruno wrote:
>> Yep that's it!
>> Renamed pg_dump and it starts just fine.
>> Phill
>>

> Yay, that worked fine for me as well! How will the renaming of pg_dump
> affect the usage of PostgreSQL? I renamed one in /usr/local/bin/ and one in
> pgAdmin 1.8 and 1.9 respectively. Is there any risk that some automated
> process in another part of pgAdmin or PostgreSQL will fail since this file
> cannot be found?

pgAdmin won't fail - though it will probably not offer you
backup/restore options.

pg_dumpall will fail in PostgreSQL though, as might any cron jobs oyu
have calling pg_dump.

One workaround that should work would be to create a shell script called
that echoes the same text as output from 'pg_dump --version' and point
pgAdmin's PostgreSQL Bin Dir config option (under File -> Options) to
the directory containing the script. That should fool pgAdmin into using
the shell script for backups (which won't work, but won't hang either),
which will cause it to leave the real pg_dump alone.

Regards, Dave.