Re: hardware and For PostgreSQL

From: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hardware and For PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-10-31 23:00:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> Joe Uhl wrote:
>> I realize there are people who discourage looking at Dell, but i've been
>> very happy with a larger ball of equipment we ordered recently from
>> them. Our database servers consist of a PowerEdge 2950 connected to a
>> PowerVault MD1000 with a 1 meter SAS cable.
>>

> We have a similar piece of equipment from Dell (the PowerEdge), and when
> we had a problem with it we received excellent service from them. When
> our raid controller went down (machine < 1 year old), Dell helped to
> diagnose the problem and installed a new one at our hosting facility,
> all within 24 hours.
>
> fyi
>
> Ron

This is good to know - I've got a new Dell PowerEdge 2900 quad-core, 4GB
RAM, 6*146Gb SAN disks on RAID-5 controller arriving in the next week or
two as a new database server. Well, more like a database development
machine - but it will host some non-production databases as well. Good
to know Dell can be relied on these days, I was a bit concerned about
that when purchasing sent me a copy invoice from Dell - particularly
since I was originally told an IBM was on the way.

Good ol' purchasing, can always rely on them to change their minds last
minute when they find a cheaper system.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator